Awareness of autism is growing but there is still a lot of confusion around what the condition is, its causes and how it affects people. ASD limits and impairs everyday functioning, which can result in social communication and interaction difficulties and restricted or repetitive behaviour patterns.
Participants will learn about the main diagnostic tools – DISCO, ADI-R and ADOS – and assessments that follow the national guidelines and the National Autism Plan for Children (NAPC).
- Autism facts
- Autism myths
- Signs, symptoms and diagnosis
- Asperger syndrome, pathological demand avoidance and other types of autism
- Cognitive thinking, emotions, behaviours and identity impact
- Social interaction, communication, interests and behaviour
- Therapy, intervention and support
- Medication, treatment and antipsychotic medication
- Side effects and complications
Autism – Always Unique Totally Intelligence Sometimes Mysterious